Saturday, May 1, 2010

Memory of an Elephant



Photo courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/visbeek/

I've never been one to keep my thoughts on paper. I tend to store important occurrences in what I like to consider my strong selective memory. The last time I kept any physical record of life events, thoughts, or encounters was in graduate school. For my line of work it is practically a must to do reflections or journals. It is a tool us Counselors like to encourage. Prior to this, it was my Sanrio "My Melody" diary, bought when I was eight years old. Where this is now I can only guess. Perhaps buried in my parents' storage somewhere. Whoever gets a hold of it will surely get their share of school girl crush stories spanning over 5 years (yes, I wrote in that My Melody diary up until I was 13). It lasted that long because I would write in spurts. Usually during my most emotional times or when something important happened like losing a tooth. But I also do remember times that others may consider uneventful such as taking a walk with my grandmother on a Saturday afternoon as a child in Echo Park to buy a lottery ticket. Or the time I bought my first cassette single.

As these memories flood me, I can't help but want them to stay. I realize there are many more to come.

There is a saying that elephants have a good memory because they never forget. I intend to do the same. And so here I am starting a blog for the very first time, not just to muse about events in my life, for the sake of remembering, but to share future ventures, questions, thoughts, and anything else I feel like.

No comments:

Post a Comment